Monday, July 18, 2011

First Time Fire Jamming











I belong to a little group that gets together every few weeks to spin poi, hoop, and other flow toys.  We decided it would be a fun idea to go down to a more secluded beach area and do some night time spinning.  I have never spun fire before, even though I have two pairs of fire poi and a fire hoop.  It's always a struggle to find a good place where it's safe to spin, and where you won't cause a scene where you may get in trouble. 

Last night was amazing!  I tried both my hoop and poi.  I went with the hoop first, which has 6 wicks on it.  It is quite intense with the flame.  It's going to take me some time to get used to the weight of the hoop, and the handholds (because you don't want to grab the wicks).  Anyway-I didn't burn myself!  Yeah!  Next I tried the poi, which again, I have to spin my kevlar wicks more when they are not on fire to get used to the weight and feel of the chains.  Lately when I spin I used my sock poi with the swivel handles.  Fire poi (cathedral wicks) make fabulous fire noises when you spin. 

We ended up staying out late on a work night and got to bed at 1 am, and then couldn't sleep because we had so much adrenalin pumping.  We're definitely doing this again before the summer is out.

1 comment:

  1. I bet that was a little scary, but holy cow- the photos look awesome! You seem like a natural! :)

    ReplyDelete