Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Vegan Dinner: Cranberry, Spinach, Pine Nut Pasta

This meal is quick and easy to make.  Here's what you need:

Pasta (I use whole wheat rotini or bowtie)
1 med. Onion (I use sweet or white onion)
Pepper Flakes (1/2 tsp)
Spinach (a bundle)
Dried cranberries (2/3 cup)
Pine Nuts 1/4 cup
Garlic (2 cloves or more)
olive oil (or oil of your choice)

Prep Time:
I first dice up the onion, wash the spinach and cut the stems off, and mince the garlic as fine as I can with my knife I've nicknamed the 'chop suey.'  Put a helping of oil in your skillet, and prep water to boil.   

DSC02122

DSC02124

Put the diced onions and pine nuts into the skillet to saute. Keep the heat on medium and watch carefully. At this time I would also start cooking the pasta. When the onion is cooked, add in the cranberries, red pepper flakes, and spinach. It will look like a TON of spinach, but it cooks down to practically nothing. So don't worry about it. Think Popeye. The garlic should go in last, after the spinach is looking close to being cooked.

DSC02130

DSC02132

When everything is done, pile on your spinach mixture on to your pasta. I like to add a little 'brewer's yeast' to cheese mine up.

DSC02134 (1)

Side by side is the vegan versus vegetarian. V likes to add a little grated cheese to his.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I'm not vegan but I don't eat dairy. I've never used brewer's yeast, is it like a powder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a yellowish flakey powder you can get at a bulk store usually. It can imitate cheese, and is apparently good for b-12 and folic acid (among other things).

    ReplyDelete