Thursday, March 8, 2012

Yoga Thursday

Yoga Reviews

Okay, I know I've been doing yoga for 9 years now, and have completed a teacher training program and various amazing workshops with people like David Swenson, Doug Swenson, and even Seane Corn herself.  I still have to reveal that I sometimes like tossing in an instructional dvd.  Gasp!  I know, I've broke the cardinal rule *slap wrist* I should be making my own sequences...  But honestly, sometimes I just want to do yoga at home, in my pajamas, without having to remember a sequence, or be surrounded by other yoga practitioners, and be inspired by one of my yoga mentors.  I just recently purchased this dvd after having tried it out from my local library.  I love it.  There's two separate sequences to do, Twist and Flow, that is 35 minutes and like the title implies, involves lots of twists and forward bending.  It's a nice sequence if you don't have a lot of time in your hectic schedule, but want to fit in a shorter practice.  Then there's Purify, which is the sequence I love.  You're not doing a crazy flow where you're sweating like mad, but you do create heat in your body and concentrate a lot on the subtleties like engaging through the core in your twists.  I actually enjoy doing my practice at a slower pace, because sometimes I feel like I'm doing the yoga olympics during a flow or Primary class.  I'd say it's probably an intermediate series, but someone who has the basics could tackle it.  You do quite a few vinyasas, minimal inversions, no arm balancing, but concentrate a lot on linking your movements with breath.

You also have the choice with both Twist and Flow, and Purify, to listen to instruction only, or to listen to Seane Corn talk more about the poses, and why and how they benefit you.  As a teacher, I find it informative to listen to both variations, but more so to the inspirational talks by her because I'm already well versed in alignment.  Listening to Seane Corn, whether it's in person or video is always uplifting.  I recommend this dvd to any intermediate yoga practitioner, and am happy to being doing more twists and detoxifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment