Sunday, April 22, 2012

Geek and Sundry, Felicia Day and Gaming




I thought I would share where I have been spending a lot of my time lately. There's a new Youtube channel called Geek and Sundry, and it has a few different streams on it that are all totally amazing!  My favourite of course is the web series called the Guild, written by Felicia Day.  It's inspired by Felicia Day's experience in gaming.  The gist of it is that Felicia Day, aka Cyd or Codex (her gaming name) is obsessed with online gaming and belongs to a guild.  Her psychiatrist has been working with her to try to get her to reach out and make relationships with people in 'real' life.  In the first episode, Codex ends up meeting her guild, and the series builds on their relationships that come out of gaming. The show is hilarious and I highly recommend it.

There are other streams on Geek and Sundry that I like, like Table Top, where Wil Wheaton gets different stars together (who are usually involved in some sort of geekery) and teaches them how to play a board game.  So far they have played Small World, and Settlers of Catan, both games that I have been dieing to play.  Felecia Day also hosts her own stream called The Flog (like the Vlog), and in it she recommends things in her Fav Five, and films hilarious things like learning to blacksmith so she can bring that skill to her character in Skyrim.  And then there's Sword and Laser, a stream that one fan labelled 'the Reading Rainbow for grown ups.' 

Anyway, Felicia Day has pretty much become my new hero!  I want her as my bff.  I've joined her book club on Goodreads called The Vaginal Fantasy, where you can be involved in their monthly picks and then shoot some questions during a live chat. The genre, like the club name suggests, is hot and heavy fantasy, sci-fi, or urban fantasy. 

What I love about all of this, is that it is a female's take on being a 'geek.'  It's bringing female gaming to the masses.  Felicia Day has inspired me to play more games (hello SWTOR), to indulge in fun fantasy reads, and to embrace (even more!) all things deemed geek that I am interested in.  Lastly, despite geeks being viewed as introverts, all of the Geek and Sundry channel and Vaginal Fantasy group is based on a community!  So, if this is new to you-definitely check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment