Sunday, May 6, 2012

Book Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Insurgent by Veronica Roth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was blown away with with this book. I have to admit, I read Divergent last year over one weekend. I just couldn't stop reading it-and just had the same experience with Insurgent. Insurgent explores the other factions and gives you a different view on their qualities and skills. You also get to build upon her world further by exploring the settings of each faction. Even though both stories are not that long, I was amazed at how many characters Veronica Roth has written, and their connections with Tris. It is also refreshing that this YA novel does not involve a love triangle like many do. She shows the hubris of both Tobias and Tris, and reveals them as very complex people. Some of the ideas concerning their post apocalyptic world reminded me of Scott Westerfeld's The Pretties/Uglies series, although we won't find out until the third installment where the story will take us. However, I do like the fact that Roth keeps the outside world quite concealed throughout the first two books. As a reader, you are so concerned about the Erudite's plans to destroy and conquer, and you are wondering what will become of the relationship between Tris and Tobias, that your focus remains there. There are so many subplots and things going on in the novel that you will not be able to stop reading it. It will probably be my favourite book of the year. And although I don't really want to compare it to Hunger Games, I have to be honest and say that although I did enjoy Hunger Games, I find that in Veronica Roth's series my desire to read intensifies, whereas with Hunger Games it began to diminish after the first book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment