Saturday, August 17, 2013

Toddlers and Tiaras





Every year my little town has a street festival where they close off the main street for three days to house vendors, musicians, a parade, and they have a local midway.  You know the festival... pretty typical for small town folk.  This year I just happened to discover a day or so before the festival began that they have a baby beauty contest.  Now, typically I get a bad taste in my mouth when I think of pageants...  I see images of phoney smiles, hair sprayed do's, and hear phrases like, 'I want world peace.'  But for some reason I thought it was hilarious to enter-'just this once.'  I think it's something I can laugh about with Story when she gets older.  Plus, it gave me an excuse to dress her in some items that were given to me that she probably won't get a chance to ever where.  So, we put on her frilly watermelon party dress, crocheted beanie, and mini sandals and lined up for 3-5 months judging.  It took longer than I would have liked, but in the end we came home with a runner up prize that consisted of a huge stuffed bunny, Dora the Explorer Pail, mini windmill, and some soap.  I smile when I think that she received the prize for being the most 'healthiest' of babies, because she certainly was the largest baby there!  My exclusively breastfed girl (almost 6 months) definitely does not have to worry about 'failing to thrive.'  I just wished all the babies could have taken home a prize, because 'judging' babies on anything makes me sad.  They are all growing, learning, taking in so much that why should we compare?  I would have gladly split her little prize and taken home less just so another mom and baby could have the grandeur of also being a 'winner.'  Anyway, at the least it was fun to see so many families out.  I reminisced when I spotted smaller babies, and day dreamed about the future when I saw the older ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment